Sunday, November 21, 2010

How do I reset the settings on my mothers desktop once I change the battery on the motherboard?

My moms battery has gone on her desktop. Its slow anyway so I need to work out how to speed it up. But I need to know how to find the settings to input thhem again after I replace the battery. Do you think I will find them on the manufactre web page?How do I reset the settings on my mothers desktop once I change the battery on the motherboard?
This is what I have done several times to reset BIOS to default. It also removes any saved bios password and reset to factory default.



Remove battery from board. Using any metal object screwdriver, try touching both + and - terminal at same time so you can short circuit. Dont worry, power is off and there is no battery. Short circuiting battery terminals will discharge any saved bios information and resets to default.How do I reset the settings on my mothers desktop once I change the battery on the motherboard?
The BIOS will reset to factory defaults upon changing the CMOS battery. Odds are you wouldn't need to change these settings.
You'll need to assess the system Basic in/out system(Bios). Every computer is different you sometime have to Press F11 or DEL or some key moments before the system boots. It should tell you which one for a split second on boot up usually at the bottom ie.. Press F11 for set up.



If you replace the system battery the system clock/setting will be reset to default so it should bring the Bios up for you to enter the time and date and new settings.



If you are accessing the bios for overclocking to speed the computer up make sure you know what your doing. Personally I think a good quality processor and a more ram is usually better in the long run than overclocking an older PC.



Good luck
A new battery will not speed up the PC. The battery maintains the BIOS and clock. The usual sign of a worn out battery is that the clock at the bottom right of the screen loses time.

You should not need to reset anything if you replace the battery.

If you want to speed up the PC you run Disc Clean Up and Defrag. After that, more memory will help in the form of memory sticks. If you go that route look at the link. They will scan the machine, tell you what is installed and recommend upgrades.

No comments:

Post a Comment